Thursday, March 12, 2015

Personal Development Favorites

I had been thinking about being a Beachbody coach for a couple of months when I finally took the plunge.  What prompted me to literally send the "Let's do it" message to my coach was her offer of free stuff to whoever signed up with her that day.

I like free stuff.

When she finally gave me my free stuff, it was a Shakeology shaker bottle (score!) and a Personal Development book called, The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson (eh).  I thanked her and put the book in a pile somewhere.  I love to read, but I love to read Harry Potter... you know what I mean?  I'm not super interested in learning how to be a business person.

I learned about Beachbody's "3 Vital Behaviors"; the 3 things that successful coaches do every single day, and one of them was Personal Development.  I liked the idea, and I've always liked trying to understand myself more and become a better version of myself, but I didn't really know where to start.  My coaches offered book list suggestions for people who needed help with time management (not me), confidence (not me), connecting with people (not me), etc.  What can I say?  I'm perfect.

But in all honesty, I just didn't want to read books about those things.  Books are my escape.  I couldn't see myself escaping to a world where an old man told me how to make good use of my time.

Meanwhile, in the first few months of coaching, I started following different "Beachbody people" on Facebook.  One person I really enjoyed was Chalene Johnson.  I completed her PiYo program in August and then moved on to her weightlifting program Chalean Extreme.  I found her adorable and motivating.  But what I really liked, was when she talked about her family-- her husband that she's been with since college, her teenage children, her sister who is in a lot of her workout videos with her.  I'm nosy, and I like to see how other people live.

So during all this time, Chalene had been posting excessively about her Podcast-- another thing I wasn't super interested in exploring.  A few of my friends are really into them, but I just never looked into them much.  Around the end of October, Chalene posted that she had a HUGE decision to make, and she was going to talk all about it on her upcoming podcast.  Not only that, her podcast would feature clips of her talking to her business partners, family and friends.  My nosy nose perked up!  She had me hooked!  I found the Podcast app on my phone, figured out how to subscribe to her podcast, and listened with bated breath.

Her decision was all about whether to continue podcasting: Was it worth it, from a business perspective?  Of course, none of this meant much to me, since I didn't really know anything about the business aspects of podcasting, but I loved listening to her talk about it, and talk to her family and friends about it.  I started to enjoy listening to something other than music on my way to work.  I decided to check out a "National Wake-Up Call", Beachbody's weekly podcast for coaches.  The first one I listened to featured Danielle "Fit N Funky" Katz, who talked all about apps that help you make the most of your time.  Frankly, I was a little disappointed that I was driving and couldn't take notes!

And with that, I became a lover of personal development podcasts.  My favorites are ones that provide me with quick and easy advice that I can walk away with and instantly apply to my business! I'm quick to listen to episodes that feature information about social media, useful apps, and even fitness and nutrition tips.  Here are some that I am currently listening to, along with suggested episodes!


Team Beachbody Coach Podcast:  National Wakeup Call


The NWC is recorded every Monday morning at 11 am est.  It starts out with recognition of coaches building their businesses and some important Beachbody announcements for the week.  The call then features a Beachbody coach doing amazing things and most importantly, HOW they are doing those things. Every guest speaker provides take-aways that can help you improve your business!

Personal Favorites:
-Minimizing time, maximizing success (Nov 17, 2014), featuring Danielle Katz
-Michelle Myers:  Create Heart, Hustle and Muscle (Feb 23, 2015)
-ANY of the Summit 2014 podcasts (uploaded Sept 22, 2014)




The Chalene Show

The Chalene Show is my favorite!  It's a little bit of everything!  Her episodes topics range from fitness and nutrition to balance and organization to faith and relationships and everything in between, and it's all about trying to help you become a better you!  Sometimes she has guest speakers and sometimes she provides her own knowledge on the topics.

Personal Favorites (so many!):
Nutrition and Fitness:
-8 Hour Ab Diet with Melissa McAllister (Aug 20, 2014)
-Breaking A Weight or Fitness Plateau (Oct 28, 2014)
Business and Money:
-Pinterest Infinity with Natalie Jill (Dec 2, 2014)

-The Money Manual with Rachel Cruze (Mar 4, 2015)
-Rejection Rocks with Jia Jiang (Mar 2, 2015)
Life:
-Get Motivation When You're So Not Feeling It (Aug 26, 2014)
-How to Talk to Teens (Feb 12, 2015)






Build Your Tribe


This is Chalene Johnson's business-based podcast.  She only records new podcasts under the name "The Chalene Show", however, she often does episodes called "Build Your Tribe Tuesday" and then uploads them to the Build Your Tribe Channel.


Personal Favorites:
-How to Get Your Stuff Seen in the Newsfeed... (Aug 19, 2014)
-Managing Social Media Overload (Aug 26, 2014)
-Developing Your Personal Brand (Oct 14, 2014)






The Charged Life with Brendon Burchard

I like these podcasts because they're nice and short, but packed with motivation!  If I only have a few minutes while I'm washing dishes or making the bed, why not listen to an 11 minute podcast with relationship advice? Yaknowwhatimean?

Personal Favorites:
-How to Start a Dream (Especially When You're Scared) (Jan 10, 2015)
-How to Deal with Frustrating People (lol) (Dec 7, 2014)
-What Leaders Actually DO (Jul 19, 2014)







Social Media Marketing with Michael Stelzner

I "met" Michael Stelzner on a Chalene podcast and I heard he had his own podcast about social media, so off I went to download that shiz.  He interviews social media pros to help you understand how social media works, and how to use it best for your business!


Personal Favorites:
-Pinterest Traffic:  how to Use Pinterest for More Exposure (Jan 2, 2015)
-Visual Content:  How to Create Shareable Images People Love (Dec 12, 2014)
-Haters:  How to Deal With Haters and Trolls of Your Business (May 2, 2014)



So there you have it!  I'd love to know... what Personal Development podcasts do you love?!





No comments:

Post a Comment